April 2014 MassLNC Update
The MassLNC Executive Board voted at the end of March to contract for several development projects recommended by the MassLNC Development Committee.
The development committee had reviewed quotes received last fall during MassLNC's October 2013 RFP and those received more recently during MassLNC's Winter 2014 RFP. Most of these projects came from the MassLNC Ideas site and, in many cases, were reviewed and discussed by working groups before the RFP's were posted.
The development committee made the following considerations when selecting projects to recommend:
- We did not receive quotes for all of the projects that were posted last month.
- Given the timing of the project to build a new web client, it seemed best to hold off on most circulation or cataloging projects since they are the subject of the first two development sprints. Nevertheless, there was one small circulation project affecting the holds shelf report that did receive funding because it does not affect the client.
- The committee wanted to fund some development areas that have not previously been funded by MassLNC.
- The committee had a lengthy discussion about the serials enhancement projects. The quotes were relatively inexpensive, but the projects under consideration primarily targeted staff client elements that may or may not be available in the web client. The committee ultimately decided not to target a serials enhancement project, but to pick up a second reports project instead.NOTE: MassLNC did target serials with some of our bug fix funds, so serials staff will see some improvements with two upcoming bug fixes.
The Board approved the following:
To contract with Art Rhyno for two Syrup (academic reserves) development projects
- SYR-01 Improved handling for the display and counts of multi-part items
- SYR-02: The ability to move a batch of courses to a new term
To contract with Equinox Software on the following projects:
- ACQ-03: Interface should provide a clear distinction between delayed and cancelled items
- REP-01: Ability to Review and Revise Reports
- REP-03: Additional Assistance for Report Runners
- Shelf-Expired Holds Should Not Include Items Expiring Today
In addition to the above projects, MassLNC's FY14 development funds have gone towards the following enhancement projects:
- The completion of alphabetical browse in the catalog (available in 2.5)*
- Billing improvements (some of which is available in 2.5; some of which won't be available until the next Evergreen version to be released in September 2014.)
- A small portion of the Evergreen performance evaluation
- The ability to link to a library web site from the copy details area of a record (available in 2.5)
- An enhanced formats project that will allow sites to display icons in the public catalog for more formats than are available today (available in 2.6)*
- A prototype for a new web client for Evergreen*
- Sprint 1 for the new Evergreen web client, which will cover common components and circulation.*
* These projects were funded in partnership with others in the Evergreen community.
The 2nd annual MassLNC conference is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 28 at Northern Essex Community College in Haverhill, MA. The conference planning committee is following up with suggestions from our recent survey to create a program that will be useful for the broad spectrum of library staff who are using Evergreen. Topics will include:
- Customizing receipt templates
- Managing the holds workflow
- Batches, buckets, and bookbags
- Staff client tips and tricks
- A review of recently-added and upcoming Evergreen features
- An acquisitions overview
Check back here next week to register for the conference.
MassLNC has also been working with some developers over the past few months to get some bugs fixed. We have targeted the following bugs:
- Public hold notes do not display in tpac: https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1133090
- Catalog Items repeated in tpac display, others not visible: https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1155769
- LC call numbers sort improperly in tabular displays: https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1182605
- Deleting an issuance does not update the basic summary statement: https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1078593
- Non-compressed serials holdings display shows holdings from all libraries regardless of scope: https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1078787