Make patron addresses associated with a date that makes them active/inactive
This enhancement would provide a mechanism to automatically switch patron addresses to active or inactive based on a date entered in the patron record. This enhancement will be particularly useful for academic libraries, which may serve many students using a different mailing address during the summer months, and libraries in communities with large seasonal populations.
1. In the address section of the “register patron” record, the system will provide an option to provide an active date range.
2. Upon reaching the starting date of this date range, the system will automatically change the mailing and/or billing address to this address.
3. Upon reaching the ending date of this date range, the system will automatically revert to the patron’s default mailing and/or billing address.
4. The system provides an option that allows users to add and update their active/inactive dates via their account in the public catalog.
Summer resident John Smith uses his Summer Town address as his mailing address when registering for his Summer Town Library card. This is his default mailing address in the system. However, staff also adds his Snowbird City address as a mailing address that is active from October 1 to April 30. When October 1 arrives, his Snowbird City mailing address automatically becomes active. On May 1, the mailing address automatically reverts to his default Summer Town address.
Grace periods for org units and specific items
This enhancement would provide more flexibility to grace period for fines by allowing libraries to set their own default grace period and to apply different grace periods for specific items.
1. The system provides the option for organizational units to set their own grace periods for fines.
2. The system also provides the ability to change the grace periods for particular items based on its circulation modifier or another piece of information in the copy or MARC record.
Collect fines at check in when returning overdue items
This enhancement will provide one-click access to fine payment at the time a patron returns items with overdue fines.
At the “Item Check In” screen, staff will be able to click on any “balance owed” to open up the bills portion of the patron’s record in a separate tab.
Additional Boosts for Relevance Ranking
This feature would enhance Evergreen's relevance ranking by including more data, particularly usage data, in the algorithm when calculating relevance scores. Libraries can currently adjust search relevancy based on fields in the MARC record using the search.relevance_adjustment table. This development would add the following tweakable boosts:
- Publication date (newer titles get a bigger boost than older ones)
- Circulation activity (titles with more checkouts get a bigger boost than titles with fewer checkouts)
- Holds queue (titles with a long holds queue get a bigger boost than titles with no holds queue)
- Number of holdings (titles with more holdings get a bigger boost than titles with fewer holdings)
- Number of orders
- Items on course reserves (once Evergreen has a course reserves system)
System provides prompt before closing data entry screens
This enhancement will provide a safeguard for staff that accidentally closes a data entry screen without saving the record.
1. If staff closes the data entry screen without saving the record, the system provides a prompt asking if the information should be saved before exiting.
2. The system will provide options to save the record, to continue editing, or to close the record.
3. Data entry screens that require this enhancement include the patron registration screen (circulation), the MARC editor (cataloging), the copy editor (cataloging), the new brief record screen (acquisitions), the provider data entry screen (acquisitions), and the new provider address data entry screen (acquisitions.)
Logging the last editor and creator for a user record
This enhancement would store information about the creator and last editor of a user record and display this information in the user interface for the record.
1. Create fields in the actor.usr table to store the record's creator, last editor, the workstation from which the last edit was performed, and the last edit date.
2. Add the creator, editor, workstation and last edit date data to the table when a user record is saved.
3. Provide the ability to customize the view of the patron's record in the client to display these fields.
Logging user information for transit transactions
This enhancement would store information about the logged-in user and workstation whenever a copy is received from or placed into transit.
1. Add fields to the action.transit_copy table to store the logged-in user and the workstation.
2. Add the logged-in user and workstation data to the table whenever an item is received from or sent into transit.
Last date of authentication added to patron record
Authentication facility with third-party products to add the last date of authentication to the patron record.