May 28, 2014
Coffee & pastries
Welcome -- from MassLNC Board Chair Brian Courtemanche and Northern Essex Community College Asst. Dean of Library & Academic Resources, Linda Hummel-Shea. TC103AB
Meet MassLNC and the MassLNC Networks -- Learn about the three networks that are part of the MassLNC and how MassLNC works with them to support shared development and collaboration.
Presenters: Ron Gagnon, NOBLE; Joan Kuklinski, C/W MARS; Diane Giarrusso, Tewksbury Public Library (MVLC); and Kathy Lussier, MassLNC. TC103AB
10:10 a.m. Breakout 1
- Customizing Receipt Templates -- Evergreen offers a lot of power for adding data to a library's printed receipts. This session will offer tips for getting the most out of your receipt templates. Beginners will get a small introduction to HTML and CSS that can be used in the receipts. Attendees will also learn how to add images/logos, include patron or item barcodes, and use receipts to promote events. TC103A
Presenters: Brian Herzog, Chelmsford Public Library,and Codey Kolasinski, C/W MARS
- Significance of Volume and Copy Data - The volume/copy editor in Evergreen contains many data fields, some of which can affect the circ/hold rules for items or sort order of call numbers. This session will offer an overview of these fields and discuss the situations in which some libraries might want to use them. The session will also highlight tips for using copy notes and copy statistical categories. TC103B
Presenters: Elizabeth Thomsen, NOBLE, and Laurie Kulik, MVLC
- Academic Reserves Discussion Group - Anyone interested in discussing the Syrup course reserves system can join. We will discuss use of reserves, workflows and best practices, new features, future development and more. TC211
Facilitator: Beth Wills, NOBLE
11:05 a.m. Breakout 2
- Managing the Holds Workflow -- The ability to place holds on material from across the consortium provides your patrons with access to more materials than they could ever get from just one library. However, with this greater access to materials comes a large number of daily tasks library staff need to do to send out and receive these materials. This panel of library staff will share tips and strategies for managing holds in their libraries, from pulling holds off the shelf, sending and receiving items in delivery, and managing the holds shelf. The audience is also invited to share their tips for managing the holds workflow in this session. TC103A
Panelists: Michael Wick, Peabody Institute Library; Barbara McNamara, Memorial Hall Library, Andover; Chris Teghtsoonian, Forbes Library, Northampton.
- Batches, Buckets, and Bookbags -- Take a tour of some of the ways that you can bring together groups of bibliographic records or copies in the Evergreen staff client to update records, make lists and manage displays, summer reading and other special projects. TC103B
Presenter: Elizabeth Thomsen, NOBLE
- Introduction to Acquisitions -- Is your library interested in implementing acquisitions or just curious about how acquisitions works? This session will provide a basic overview of using Evergreen acquisitions to order materials and manage funds. The intended audience is library staff who are not yet using acquisitions in Evergreen. TC211
Presenters: Tim Spindler, C/W MARS, and Christine Morgan, NOBLE
12:00 p.m. Lunch TC103AB
12:30 p.m. What's New in Evergreen -- What new features have been added to Evergreen over the past year? We'll take a look at the features that have been added since the 2013 MassLNC conference and get information on some new features we expect to see in a future Evergreen release. TC103AB
Presenters: Jeff Klapes, MassLNC Development Committee Chair; Elizabeth Thomsen, NOBLE; and Kathy Lussier, MassLNC.
Lightning Talks -- Have you created an interesting report in Evergreen? Do you have a great way to promote the catalog to your users? Do you have a development idea you would like to pitch? Sign up for a five-minute lightning talk where you can share something interesting you have done in Evergreen. TC103AB
Handout (Publisher format) or (PDF format) from Jeff Klapes on using copy locations to manage displays and storage items
Powerpoint from Beth Willis on Thumbnails in the Catalog
1:55 p.m. Breakout 3
- Staff Client Tips & Tricks -- Learn some tips and tricks for getting the most out of the Evergreen staff client. In this session, we'll look at customizing toolbars, setting staff client search preferences, managing column setting, working with print settings and other tips to help you work in the client. We'll also take a peek under the hood at where some of these settings are stored, and look at some strategies for managing settings for multiple users and workstations in your library.
Presenter: Michele Morgan, NOBLE TC103A
- Bug or Feature : Submitting Support Requests and Development Ideas -- What happens if you run across an unexpected problem with Evergreen? Meet network staff from each of the MassLNC networks to learn the best way to report problems found in Evergreen. We'll also offer tips on submitting help desk reports so that network staff can more easily understand what is happening in your system. In addition, we'll look at ways to share your ideas for new features to improve Evergreen through the MassLNC ideas site. TC103B
Presenters: Martha Driscoll, NOBLE; James Keenan, MVLC; Tim Spindler, C/W MARS; Jeff Klapes, Lucius Beebe Memorial Library (Wakefield) and MassLNC Development Committee Chair; and Kathy Lussier, MassLNC.
- Acquisitions Discussion Group -- Anyone interested in discussing acquisitions is welcome to join. We will discuss use of acquisitions, workflows and best practices, future development and more. TC211
Facilitator: Laurel Toole, Lynnfield Public LIbrary
2:50 p.m. Breakout 4
- New Evergreen Billing Features -- A big focus of MassLNC's development efforts over the past year was improvements to billing in Evergreen. This session will provide an overview of new and upcoming improvements to billing that include changes to the billing interface as well as more control over whether the system generates negative balances.
Presenter: Kathy Lussier, MassLNC Coordinator TC103A
- Top Tips for Using Reports -- Learn some handy tips that will help you with your work in the Evergreen reports module. Do you have your own tips for using reports. Feel free to share them in this interactive session.
Presenters: Elizabeth Thomsen, NOBLE and Joan Kranich, C/W MARS TC103B
- Serials Discussion Group - Anyone interested in discussing serials is welcome to join. We will discuss use of serials, workflows and best practices, future development and more. TC211
Facilitator: Tim Spindler, C/W MARS